The Aardvark
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Aardvark

We are the Aardvark, goo goo g'joob.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Here's what I think...
Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty11/19/2011, 7:41 pm by topher_j

» Additional emots?
Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty5/1/2011, 7:49 pm by Guest

» Hey!!!! Just wondering
Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty6/1/2010, 5:40 am by M_R_Wiley

» A teeny tiny rant
Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty3/20/2010, 4:00 am by Nutmeg1992

» Fun with the Walking Dead
Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty3/2/2010, 11:24 am by FarmWife

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 116 on 7/2/2019, 10:30 pm
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of The Aardvark on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of The Aardvark on your social bookmarking website

You are not connected. Please login or register

Top 100 Films Of All Time

+2
therish
Dorkboy
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Top 100 Films Of All Time 11/29/2008, 3:50 pm

Dorkboy

Dorkboy
n00b

We have all seen these lists a hundred times before, so how is this one different? On this list, there will be no arbitrary picking of titles we just happen to like. Each film you recommend for this list must have a valid reason to be recommended. And because of the fact, that with this group Star Wars will inevitably be the #1 film of all time. It must be excluded from this list. The rules are:

--The film must be shown to have had a significant impact on how films are made today.
--On today's culture.
--Or on the political system of the day in which it was made.
--You must have actually seen the film you are recommending in its entirity.
--A film does not necessarily have to be a theatrical release. Straight to video, and made for TV films are allowed.
--Films and their sequels will be considered as one film if they do not have independent story lines.
--Films may be considered for top 5, top 10, top 20, top 50, and top 100.
--All nominations must contain title, year of release, and a brief description of why they should be included on this list.
--All entries will be considered for the placement on list by a panel of trusted judges.

Last edited by Dorkboy on 12/27/2008, 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 11/29/2008, 9:43 pm

therish

therish
Epic Win
Epic Win

Excellent idea! Okay forum, get going on this! This will be super fun!

Imma go think of some now...

http://therish.deviantart.com

Dorkboy

Dorkboy
n00b

Top 100 Films Of All Time
by Dorkboy Yesterday at 1:50 pm

We have all seen these lists a hundred times before, so how is this one different? On this list, there will be no arbitrary picking of titles we just happen to like. Each film you recommend for this list must have a valid reason to be recommended. And because of the fact, that with this group Star Wars will inevitably be the #1 film of all time. It must be excluded from this list. The rules are:

--The film must be shown to have had a significant impact on how films are made today.
--On today's culture.
--Or on the political system of the day in which it was made.
--You must have actually seen the film you are recommending in its entirity.
--A film does not necessarily does not have to be a theatrical release, straight to video, and made for TV films are allowed.
--Films and their sequels will be considered as one film if they do not have independent story lines.
--Films may be considered for top 5, top 10, top 20, top 50, and top 100.
--All nominations must contain title, year of release, and a brief description of why they should be included on this list.
--All entries will be considered for the placement on list by a panel of trusted judges.

Last edited by Dorkboy on 11/30/2008, 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

4Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 11/30/2008, 10:09 pm

Dorkboy

Dorkboy
n00b

you can post you're recommendations here or on the original post I'm going to post on both

O.k. this list is going to be edited and updated continuously so check it often

The first fill I’m going to nominate is “Dark Passage” (1947) Humphrey Bogart is an escaped convict wrongly convicted of killing his wife I know real original right? Well it was this was one of the first films to my knowledge made about the justice system failing to do its job. That is only part of the reason why I’m nominating this film the reasons are the it is the earliest film I know of where not only are the courts wrong only Bogart’s character ever really finds out who killed his wife. Finally the reason most people who know the film love it is that for the first hour of the film despite the fact that Bogart is in every seen you don’t see his face until the bandages from his plastic surgery comes off. Those fact and that it’s just a fun movie to watch lead me to recommend this fill for the top 20.

5Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 11/30/2008, 10:11 pm

Dorkboy

Dorkboy
n00b

O.k. this list is going to be edited and updated continuously so check it often

Dark Passage nominated for top 20

The first fill I’m going to nominate is “Dark Passage” (1947) Humphrey Bogart is an escaped convict wrongly convicted of killing his wife I know real original right? Well it was this was one of the first films to my knowledge made about the justice system failing to do its job. That is only part of the reason why I’m nominating this film the reasons are the it is the earliest film I know of where not only are the courts wrong only Bogart’s character ever really finds out who killed his wife. Finally the reason most people who know the film love it is that for the first hour of the film despite the fact that Bogart is in every seen you don’t see his face until the bandages from his plastic surgery comes off. Those fact and that it’s just a fun movie to watch lead me to recommend this fill for the top 20.

Dark Crystal nominated for top 50

“Dark Crystal” (1982) was the only film (unfortunately) that Jim Henson made using only Muppets it showed that you could use them not only for an entire cast but you could tell a very serious storyline in which Characters actually died. I also believe that it was main stream America’s first glimpse at an anime style of story telling.

Labyrinth nominated for top 20

I am nominating “Labyrinth” (1986) for a spot on the top 20 this film was the second attempt to create a storyline not intended for small children unlike the other Jim Henson films. Also it took the idea that it was possible to tell a believable story while incorporating human actors with Muppeteers to a more serious place than we had seen it before. The final reasons are the soundtrack was amazing as well as the fact that we find out that David Bowie can act.

Last edited by Dorkboy on 12/1/2008, 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Top 100 Films Of All Time 12/1/2008, 6:53 pm

Mistress Twilight

Mistress Twilight
n00b

And the nomination goes to......

"Spaceballs"!!!! (1987) Mel Brooks - why you ask? Because it is the most hilarious movie off all time!!!!! Not only that people admire Mel Brooks for not only his mind set, his ideas, and films, but he is also a character in most of his films. Mel Brooks plays President Scroob who sends Dark Helmet out to steal the air supply from Planet Druidia, but the only hero to save them all is Lonestar with his mog Barf, and of course the spoiled Princess Vespa. Who wouldn't be influenced by him??!!!!! It should definitely be #1 on the list of the top 5!!! Very Happy

May the schwartz be with you!!!!!!!

7Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 12/2/2008, 4:29 am

therish

therish
Epic Win
Epic Win

I second the nomination for The Labyrinth, especially for its involvement in the advancement of special effects.

I also nominate A Clockwork Orange (1971). Not only is it bizarre, disorienting, and widely considered ahead of its time, but it was the predecessor to modern psychological thrillers. It has inspired musicians, from David Bowie to Rob Zombie. References show up in TV and other films, from "LOST" to Nickelodeon's "Doug" to "Reservoir Dogs." There are even Korova Milk Bars in various locations. An excellent film, and it has had a significant impact on modern culture.

8Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Top 100 Films 12/3/2008, 7:54 pm

Mistress Twilight

Mistress Twilight
n00b

"Young Frankenstein" (1974) directed by Mel Brooks - Actor Gene Wilder plays the role of a neurosurgeon named Frederick who comes across his grandfather's experiments on trying to create Frankenstein. He has accomplished this great experiment, but it becomes a disaster. Frankenstein, played by Peter Broyle, was created with an abnormal brain because of Igor's mistake. A hilarious film that is nominated for the Top 25 because of it's huge financial success!

Frau Blucher -iiiiihhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-

"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" (released to the United State in 1967)- This spaghetti western film was first filmed and released in Italian in 1966, which caught on so much that it was then released in many other languages of many countries! See chart below. I nominate it to the top 25 because of its release in many parts of the world and because it is a movie that will be seen for many years to come.

International release dates
Country Date
Italy December 15, 1966
United States December 23, 1967
Germany December 29, 1967
Japan December 30, 1967
Finland February 2, 1968
France March 8, 1968
Denmark April 8, 1968
Sweden April 10, 1968
China June 13, 1968
United Kingdom August 22, 1968
Pakistan July 21, 1974
Philippines August 7, 1977
Norway October 8, 1982 (Initially banned and was released 15 years later, what an interesting fact.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good,_the_Bad_and_the_Ugly

BLONDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

9Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 12/4/2008, 5:18 pm

therish

therish
Epic Win
Epic Win

Another nomination, and more to come when I get home from work.

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) is a classic. The film has a practically all-star cast, was based on a novella by one of the best American writers of the 20th century, and it continues to be cherished as one of the best films of all time. When I think of the movie, I think of Holly Golightly's elegant disregard for anything normal. I think of that poor cat being tossed out into the rain. I think of glamorous fashion and fun. It continues to have an impact on modern culture. Just look around. "Tiffany blue" is one of the most popular colors. Women everywhere have "Breakfast at Tiffany's" themed weddings. Everyone wants to emulate Audrey Hepburn's style from the movie. Tons of musicians are influenced by the movie, from Relient K to Dir en Grey.. and let's not forget Deep Blue Something's annoyingly catchy song from 1995.

Enduring, classic, elegant, fun. Definitely one of the best.

10Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 12/5/2008, 12:28 am

topher_j

topher_j
aardvark addict

I don't even need a synopsis for this. Seriously... Monty Python And The Holy Grail. Easy top ten.

11Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 12/5/2008, 1:37 am

therish

therish
Epic Win
Epic Win

Two more quick nominations and more to come.

The Jazz Singer (1927). Notable for two reasons: The first "talkie." The first musical on film.
Not only is it a great movie that is fun and full of jazz-age jive, but it was a pioneer film--truly unique--in that is was the first film to successfully use a full vocal track, and it also happened to be a swingin' musical. A great story about a Jewish guy who just wants to play music and win his father back. Wonderful. "Wait a minute, you ain't heard nothing yet!"

Metropolis (1927). I cannot say enough about this film. A silent sci-fi masterpiece. Beautiful sets, attention to detail, and moving performances make this movie one of the greatest. It is also director Fritz Lang's crowning achievement. Overall, this film is beautiful and disturbing, and it has impacted pop culture largely due to its visual designs (see: Blade Runner, Tim Burton's Batman). In addition to movies, comic book artists and writers have based some elements on the movie (see: Superman, All-Star Squadron, LXG). It has also spawned a musical version and an anime version. What more is there to say?

12Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Top 100 Films of All Time 12/5/2008, 12:49 pm

Mistress Twilight

Mistress Twilight
n00b

War of the Worlds (1953) - It is a classic black and white movie based on the novel by H.G. Wells. This film has been nominated four times and has won two of them. One of them was an Oscar for special effects!!!!! War of the Worlds has been remade to fit the modern culture with the 2005 release featuring Tom Cruise. That was a good movie, but does not even compare to the original. The original release was funny, serious, and more thrilling. A great choice for its time! My decision on where it should be nominated at is a tough one. I say probably the Top 25. It could go higher. Smile

Academy Awards, USA
Year Result Award Category/Recipient(s)
1954 Won Oscar Best Effects, Special Effects

Nominated Oscar Best Film Editing
Everett Douglas

Best Sound, Recording
Loren L. Ryder (Paramount Sound Department)

Hugo Awards
1953 Won Hugo Best Dramatic Presentation

Motion Picture Sound Editors, USA
1954 Won Golden Reel Award Best Sound Editing - Feature Film
unknown

*Minister holds the Bible in Hand* "I come in peace!" "Ahh!" *UFO zaps him*

13Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Dr. Jones 12/27/2008, 3:15 pm

FarmWife

FarmWife
junkie

How is it you all have gotten this far & have not nomintated the Indiana Jones trillogy?! I'm not putting all the info up here becase, frankly, it's a cultural icon (reason #1 for my nomination). A small budget, a short filming schedule, a script modeled after the early B movie serials (reason #2) & now, who in the world can see a fedora & a bull whip & not start singing the theme song (reason #3).

It made Harrison Ford the action hero role model he is today & changed the face of the action adventure movie in general.

I'm not putting the fourth movie on here because, although I loved it, I dpn't think it quite held up to the originals.

http://www.farmwife7.blogspot.com

14Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 12/27/2008, 10:39 pm

Dorkboy

Dorkboy
n00b

I disagree on the fourth film I thought it was a perfect ending to the series. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a fifty’s B movie just like the others were 30's B movies. That is what made them great they were filmed to be based the B movies of the day in age they were set in. But as for why the trilogy wasn't mentioned you just beat me to it.

Last edited by Dorkboy on 8/11/2009, 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

15Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 12/28/2008, 4:13 pm

FarmWife

FarmWife
junkie

Dorkboy wrote:I disagree on the fourth film I thought it was a perfect ending to the series. Indian Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a fifty’s B movie just like the others were 30's B movies. That is what made them great they were filmed to be based the B movies of the day in age they were set in. But as for why the trilogy wasn't mentioned you just beat me to it.

I don't disagree that the fourth film was a perfect way to "end" the series (there's debate as to wether or not the series is over). On the contrary, I loved the 1950's B-movie tie ins & the whole alien/alternative dimention thing. BUT, I still think the first three stand alone & seem more cohesive as a unit. That's why I didn't nominate it.

16Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Atonement 12/28/2008, 4:43 pm

FarmWife

FarmWife
junkie

While maybe not considered a classic (yet), I really think this movie deserves to be on the list.

Atonement was based on a novel by Ian McEwan, screenplay by Christopher Hampton, and directed by Joe Wright. Released in January of 2008, Won an Oscar for Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score, nominated for 6 more Oscars including Best Picture (won BAFTA & Golden Globe for Best picture), and was nominated for everything under the sun.

General synopsis for anyone who hasn't seen it: A 13 year old with a vivid imagination mistakenly accuses her older sister's lover of a crime changing the course of all their lives.

This is one of the very, very few movies I truly believed lived up to the hype. I'm normally very skeptial of critics & films that are highly awarded & hyped. I went into this one expecting to be dissapointed. I was not. At all.

The portrayals were amazing, the story engrossing, the visuals breathtaking. This movie had the ability to lul you into a sense of...not security...but you felt at ease & comfortable in the film & suddenly you were smacked in the face by something unsettling & unexpected. It was not an easy movie to watch, not a chick flick by any standards. It could honestly leave an emotional toll on you.

If you haven't seen it, do so. But be sure to watch it in one setting. That is a must.

17Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Toy Story 12/28/2008, 4:50 pm

FarmWife

FarmWife
junkie

OK, one last nod for the day.

Toy Story. November 1995. Pixar & Disney films.

Yes, I know. It's a children's movie. But it was the first feature length computer animated film & now, more than a decade later, very few animated movies are made any other way. I was in college whe it came out & I remember very clearly how in awe everyone was at the detail in the movie & how realistic everything (except the human characters) was.

And it was one of the first major animated films where major hollywood actors were used as voice over artists (I know it had been done for years before...Last Unicorn...but this movie seemed to spark that as a trend).

Think of the movies it has spawned & the actors that have now forrayed into voice over work for them since...it's staggering.

18Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 12/29/2008, 1:53 am

topher_j

topher_j
aardvark addict

Great choice! I love Toy Story.

19Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 12/29/2008, 4:37 am

therish

therish
Epic Win
Epic Win

Two more.

I didn't think I'd nominate a relatively recent movie, but I have to nominate Pan's Labyrinth (2006). It is entirely in Spanish, so reading subtitles is a headache, unless you've watched tons of other foreign films before (which I have... *cough*anime*cough*). This movie is dark. Extremely dark. Long story short, a young girl uses this insane escapism to avoid the horror of wartime Spain. It is suspenseful and brutal. I had to look away several times. I cringe just now thinking about it. It is part realistic, part fantastic, and all horrific. It's hard to believe that del Toro could pull off a fantasy story that was so real and so damn scary. What significant impact has it made? Everyone I know who's seen it has had nightmares about the Pale Man. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. The images from this film just stay with you.

The next one: Full Metal Jacket (1987). Yes, another Kubrick. It's raw, it's real, it's classic. The Vietnam War era is always hard to revisit when talking about American history, and this movie doesn't really make it any easier--but it does make you laugh in a twisted way. I do believe this has to be one of the most quoted movies EVER. And people don't even know they're quoting it! "Me love you long time"... Yeah. I've heard people say that was from Good Morning, Vietnam. I don't really know what to say about this film other than it was well-executed and very memorable. (And it was also not filmed on Parris Island, where it takes place. Go figure.) Oh, and R. Lee? We love you. I love you

20Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty The Matrix 1/9/2009, 9:34 pm

FarmWife

FarmWife
junkie

I am not a huge sci-fi fan. Don't mind a bit now & then, but futuristic/apocolyptic movies are not my cup o'tea.

The Matrix blew me out of the water.

We (my hubby & I) were told about 7,000 times that we had to see it, so I rented it not expecting much.

Boy was I wrong. That was one of the few movies that truly messed with my mind. Normally if I spend half the film thinking, "What the heck is going on?" I'm not a happy camper. This movie was just the opposite. It made no sense at all for about 15 minute & then suddenly it was like, "This is the coolest thing EVER!"

I'm not putting all the specifications on here because everyone's heard of it.

I'm also not nominating the second & third movies becase they didn't touch the first movie. Didn't come close.

21Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Movies by Decade 1/29/2009, 5:42 pm

FarmWife

FarmWife
junkie

Each decade needs a movie all of it's own. Something that relates to the youth of the time & still relates to today's Youth.

For your viewing pleasure, I submit The Breakfast Club. Not gonna post all the who-hah about it. Check IMDB if you've not seen it (and crawl out from under your rock). 1980's it movie, the Brat Pack, snarky humor, MUSIC, exceptionally quotable, great movie!

And for the 1990's I think it may be a toss up between Reality Bites & Singles. Both were kind of the voice of Gen X. Seattle grunge music, the 1980's suddenly became retro, quite a few up & coming stars, coming of age films....

Oh, and speaking of coming of age films, jump back to the 1980's and add Say Anything! Oh heavens. What girl hasn't been in love with the trench coat wearing Lloyd Dobbler? The boom-box held over his head as it blares Peter Gabriel....classic.

So, officially, there's my newest nods. Like a Star @ heaven

22Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 7/30/2009, 2:14 pm

therish

therish
Epic Win
Epic Win

Hey guys, we need to get back to this. And in the spirit of the thing, I have a new nomination!

Harvey, (1950) starring Jimmy Stewart. Excellent story, excellent movie. Who doesn't love a story about an imaginary rabbit and a pleasant alcoholic? ^_^ I think most everyone here is familiar with this one, so I'll leave it at that.

23Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 7/30/2009, 5:19 pm

FarmWife

FarmWife
junkie

I second Harvey & raise you Aresnic & Old Lace....it's about old women who bury men they've killed in their basement while their nephew thinks he's Teddy Rosevelt digging the Panama Canal. What more can you ask for? Oh, yeah, Carey Grant!

24Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 7/30/2009, 5:27 pm

FarmWife

FarmWife
junkie

And I have to add <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051459/">Cat on a Hot Tin Roof </a>. Tennessee Williams at his best, Elizabeth Taylor & Paul Newman at the height of their carrers, the 1950's south & all it's oddities, morphine, crazy relatives, no neck monsters, sex, lies, and Burl Ives who just happens to be a cousin to Dorkboy & myself (seriously. No lie).

There's not a mis-cast in the entire film. Elisabeth Taylor is Maggie the Cat. Paul Newman nails the washed up, alcoholid football player who looks so much better than he has any right to (Maggie even tells him she wished he'd lose his looks like other drinking me). Judith Anderson is the perfect overbearing, whiny, old south matriarch & Big Daddy couldn't possibly be anyone other than Mr.Ives.

It's a brilliantly made movie. A wonderful script. It's raw & heart breaking & makes you want to inflict violence on May & Gooper's no neck children....and then there are the names...Brick, Gooper, Big Daddy...

I love it all.

25Top 100 Films Of All Time Empty Re: Top 100 Films Of All Time 7/30/2009, 5:36 pm

therish

therish
Epic Win
Epic Win

I second those noms. Both are great classics. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next